Friday, January 31, 2014

Felt....Hearts.....Kewpie

Hey all, it's Luann.

I was picked to do the January Flamingo 4 Challenge and boy was it a challenge. We received buttons, twig heart, little orange bird, and a die cut wheelbarrell.  I enjoyed every minute of all the creative process.  I tried two other projects that just didn't work out like I visioned.  Then I was thinking of Mom, remembering  all the little things she made for my sister and me. The memory of Valentine's Day and the year she made us (including Dad) a heart shaped pillow to meet our personalities.  I still have mine.  Then I thought about elementary teachers. How they dress for each  holiday season. Here is the outcome of my creative process.




I cut out heart shapes out of felt using pinking shears.  There are some fantastic colors and designs on felt now.  Then I got out the embroidery thread and stitched two heart pieces together. (Don't forget to stuff with cotton balls or fiber before stitching closed.)


I attached the buttons from my challenge package with hot glue (or sew them on) as you see on the blue heart.  On the pink heart....I attached the
gesso, painted with Tim Holtz Paints, and Heidi Swapp sprayed vine heart. Glued the little orange bird at the top of the heart and attached a flower from my stash.  On the back is a large saftey pin so it can be used as a pin.

Do you remember Kewpies by Rose O'Neill?  I always wanted to find one in my yard. I found this one on Pintrest.











I call this my Kewpie pillow since it is a little large to use as a pin.  I colored the wheelbarrell with Tim Holtz pens.  Prima has this cute wood mushroom embleshment colored with Tim Holtz paint.  I stamped the Kewpie and flowers on felt.  I then used water and Tim Holtz pens to color the flowers and outline Kewpie.  The butterfly was from my stash.

Sometimes simple is just better.  Don't you think?  This would be a fantastic craft for kids. (Using glue or kid friendly needles.)

I hope you enjoyed my Flaming 4 creative process and results.  I also hope you will give it a try.  The possiblities of all the items you could use to decorate your heart are endless. Just look around or look to memories for a little inspiration.

Until next time. 

Luann

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails